The RMTAO offers six categories of membership, and the requirements for each are outlined below.
Any individual who holds a General or Academic Certificate of Registration with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario and who is not currently suspended and has not had their registration revoked by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario is eligible to become an Active member of the RMTAO.
Join as an Active Member
Associate Membership is open to any individual who is:
- A Registered Massage Therapist that:
- is formerly registered on a General Certificate or currently registered as inactive with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario; and
- is no longer practicing or no longer practicing in the Province of Ontario but wishes to maintain a connection with the RMTAO; and
- has previously been an Active or Student member of the RMTAO within the past 12 months
- is a Member in good standing of a Regulated Health Profession and its related Professional Association or
- is a Member of another Massage Therapist Association in Canada that is compliant with the inter-jurisdictional competency document or its equivalent, or
- is an individual who is employed as an instructor, technician, teacher's assistant, clinic/outreach supervisor or administrator in a massage therapy program recognized by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and who does not otherwise qualify for membership.
Associate members enjoy almost all of the same benefits as Active members, as well as access to the same discounted programs and services.
Join as an Associate Member
A student in any massage therapy program approved by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, or its successor, is eligible for free student membership. Students are able to receive many of the same benefits as active members including discounted GoodLife Fitness memberships, TELUS phone plan discounts, access to our career listings, practice tools that will help you start your career and more.
Join as a Student Member
Members who have maintained membership in the Association for a period of twenty years and have reached the age of 60 may be admitted by the Board of Directors as a Life Member with all the rights and privileges of an Active Member. Life members have access to all the same benefits as Active members, including the ability to purchase discounted programs such as Professional Liability Insurance.
Any individual who has previously been a member of the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario and who has also been a member of the RMTAO (formerly OMTA) for a minimum of ten years may be eligible for Retired Membership. Retired members will be able to enjoy many of the benefits provided to active members, including access to the same discounted programs and services.
Join as a Retired Member
The Board of Directors may from time-to-time appoint as Honorary Members individuals who have made distinctive contributions to the objectives of the Association or the practice of massage therapy in the Province of Ontario or who possess any other qualification which the Board of Directors in its sole discretion determines is sufficient for appointment as an Honorary Member.