The Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario (RMTAO) is a member-driven, not-for-profit professional association for Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs) in Ontario. The RMTAO exists in order to advance the profession of massage therapy in Ontario. The RMTAO advocates on behalf of the profession and provides resources and opportunities to help RMTs improve their knowledge, navigate the latest research and grow their practices.
Registered Massage Therapists in Ontario were first organized as "Associated Masseurs" in 1936. Later the name was changed to "Society of Registered and Remedial Masseurs of Ontario" and in 1973 the organization was chartered under the name of "Ontario Massage Therapist Association". In 2010 the Association's name was amended to the Registered Massage Therapists' Association of Ontario.
The Voice of the Profession
The RMTAO is the only organized and recognized voice for practicing massage therapists in Ontario. The RMTAO undertakes a large number of activities on behalf of all RMTs intended to increase the awareness of Registered Massage Therapists as regulated health professionals and to ensure fair access to the services of RMTs by all Ontarians. We also advocate for high standards of practice for RMTs and fair and equitable access to insurance funds for all RMTs.
The RMTAO advances the massage therapy profession by promoting massage therapy to the public, educational institutions, government agencies, insurance organizations, businesses and other health care professions.
To advance the profession of massage therapy as an integral component of health care.
To provide leadership and advocacy to an engaged and united profession.
The ends detail the vision of the Association are are set by the Board of Directors annually. The ends are listed in order of priority, however to achieve the vision, the following ends must be thought of as interconected.
- The profession of massage therapy in Ontario has a credible and visible identity.
- The profession of massage therapy in Ontario has exemplary professional standards, embraces ethical conduct, respects diversity and is dedicated to high quality education.
- The profession of massage therapy in Ontario engages in a culture of continuous inquiry.
- The profession of massage therapy in Ontario is recognized by the public, healthcare professionals and other stakeholders as a valued healthcare option.
- The profession of massage therapy in Ontario participates in integrated team-oriented healthcare to achieve the best possible treatment outcomes for the patient.
- The profession of massage therapy in Ontario is prosperous, successful and promotes healthy practices.